Named after the Marquis of Exeter, whose daughter Lady Mary Louisa Wellesley married Lord Newlands in 1880.
Newlands owned lands in the area.
Old map of Marquis Street
Old incidents :
28th May 1953 three workmen were overcome by gas whilst
working in a sewer on the street.
9th February 1966 at No.14 thirteen families had to flee
their homes due to a fire .
9th March 1969 at No.55 the premises of Imperial Tobacco
were damaged by fire.
16th September 1969 a man was charged with wilful
fire-raising, following a house fire at No.13 Marquis Street.
Mr Robert MacDonald owned a public house at the corner of 37 Marquis Street and 101 Bernard Street, Bridgeton. (oldGlasgowpubs.co.uk )
He was only in his 30s when this drawing was taken of him. He was
educated at Annfield Academy and was apprenticed for the Engineering to
Randolph & Elder.
He then traveled to America where he worked as an engineer and came
home when he heard of his father's death. His father also Robert
occupied the pub in Marquis Street from the early 1870s. Robert gave up
his career as an engineer and became the new license holder in 1885. He
learned the trade very quickly and became a very good wine and spirit
merchant and continued in the pub until his death in 1915. His wife
Elizabeth then took over as licensee until the 1930s.
He was an ardent Freemason and master of 128 St John's
Shettleston Lodge and a member of the Royal Arch Chapter and Royal Arch
Mark, No. 87.
Many will still remember this old pub as the Kick Off owned by Christopher McHugh in the 1950s and 60s.